Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Wishing you and me a happy new year


All the wishes for the New Year got me thinking about wishes. So of course I wrote a poem. But I am not so sure that the wishes for a new year fall into the same category as wishes made on stars and on wishbones, or four leaf clovers. I think new year wishes are promises we are making to ourselves. May we keep those promises. And just maybe all wishes are promises that if we keep them may manifest themselves in our lives.

Wishes

If wishes were horses
Beggars would ride
Mother used to say
I wish I may
I wish I might
I would chant eyes fixed
On some distant star
At night

If wishes were watches
I'd wear one
Or two or three
Four or more
By my side

On my side
All my wishes were good
Never wished bad
Someone away
Far, far, far away
Just not here
Bothering me today

If if's and and's
Were pots and pans
And I just didn't have to do
My homework just now
Or shut the book
And turn out the light
Go to bed

Oh, I wish upon that star
Or that clover
Wrote my wishes down
On the dark of the moon
To burn them in its full light
Just a few wishes
For you and you
We and me

What child
Does not dream
Or wish upon a four leaf clover
Found in the deep summer grass
I found so many
I thought I wished them up
Just maybe I did
But mother assured me
There would be no work for tinkers
If that were true

(c) Jacqui Binford-Bell

2 comments:

  1. There is so much in this poem for me that I'm pleasantly astounded. You start off with a phrase that comes to my mind and out of my lips still to this day (from 45 years ago) .. If wishes were horses, beggars would ride.* My best friend said it in a note to me when I was 15 .. she always comes to mind when I think or say it. Her name was Patti Wooten and she was about 6 feet tall .. a senior and I was a sophomore. We wrote a lot together then.

    *All my wishes were good .. * ~ that resonanted with me. I'm a good witch! lol

    *Wrote my wishes down
    On the dark of the moon
    To burn them in its full light
    Just a few wishes
    For you and you
    We and me*
    I still have time to do this as the moon is only a sliver. It will be healing.

    *I thought I wished them up
    Just maybe I did
    But mother assured me
    There would be no work for tinkers
    If that were true*

    This took me back to my childhood .. when we had tinkers who came to the neighborhood .. and my mother probably would have said the same thing to me, had she known I was wishing.

    So .. this poem has kept me busy in thought for some time and I am energized by it. I think it's a good time for a walk!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The full wolf moon is the 22nd. Plenty of time to organize your wishes. I like writing them down on origami cranes.

    ReplyDelete