Sunday, January 27, 2008

A Kinder, Gentler America

As a woman who fought hard for the defeated Equal Rights Amendment I have wanted to be there when the first woman was chosen as President of the United States.

I imagined her a lot like Indira Gandhi and not like Margaret Thatcher, or after the performance in the last Democratic CNN Debate like Hilary Clinton. I don't want a woman trying to be a man to be president of the United States. That is not enough different from a spoiled little boy trying to pretend to be a man like we have in the White House now.

My father explained to me upon my being beat up by bullies on the Air Force base in Roswell, New Mexico that bullies were trying to prove they were big enough and strong enough and good enough. Those people that knew they were enough didn't have to prove it by beating up on others. I want a kinder and gentler America, and world. I thought a woman in the office of President of the United States would be a major step in that direction. I still might be right on that issue but I am clearly not going to get to find out the answer to that question this election. I was happy Hilary was defeated in South Carolina yesterday.

I am not convinced Barack is the right choice either. He was only the other side of that vicious and petty exchange in the debate. I am so sick of negative and divisive politics I could just vomit. I watch a negative exchange like that one or see a negative ad on television and it just makes me want to vote NO. Just maybe a kinder and gentler world is possible only without leaders. Just look at where the current leader of this country has gotten us. The international boys club has only led to war after war, global warming, pollution, divisions, corrupt trade deals, genocide, dictators . . . the sad list goes on and on.

Yes, the people of South Carolina, over 50% voting women, chose to vote against Hilary. But the nice guy in this race still finished last. Politics as usual is not going to stop until we demand it stop. But what can be said for a country that watches people get hurt in extreme sports, and race cars crash and burn and calls it entertainment.

No comments:

Post a Comment