Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hard to Swallow


Doesn't that sandwich look yummy. Now imagine it is poison. And that you will die a slow and agonizing death if you eat it.

Today Taxas finally ordered the recall of all products ever shipped from a now-closed Peanut Corp. of America plant in Plainview amid a nationwide salmonella outbreak.

My question is what took them so long? This company has been "retesting" peanuts that tested originally as having salmonella and clearing them for export to Canada where they were refused because they smelled rotten. But that was not the first incident nor was it the last. People had to start dying before anyone paid attention.

Hey, and it is not just peanut butter but any product you have on your shelf that has peanuts in it should be tossed. Products like candy bars, and power bars, and peanut flavored dog treats. Throw them out. And while we are at it let's just throw the CEO's of this company into jail for reckless endangerment or manslaughter.

Beginning with Enron and its electricity scams, and pet food companies with poisonous fake protein, on to investment bankers, and toy makers with lead based painted toys from China, and now peanut companies it is rotten to the core at the top. Everyone is concerned with their million dollar bonuses and not public safety. It is the bottom line and not integrity that seems to count these days.

My list of products I will never again buy grows. That should ultimately save me money in these tough economic times.

PS: I never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches but I was rather fond of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Going to miss them.

6 comments:

  1. l used have two slices of bread,
    with real butter,
    and a thick layer of crunchy peanut butter.
    looks like l have to say goodbye to that luxury, which is now not a luxury, but a poison.
    Life was so much fresher when l was young.
    Good post jacqui...

    ReplyDelete
  2. GW Bush deregulated more than just the banking and investment firms. He also trimmed down the EPA and FDA to the point which both are merely shell agencies with no power and no ability to regulate.

    The eight years of Republican rule here also cut the states loose from a great deal of Federal support. Since it is mandated that states balance their budgets they too "trimmed" what they thought nobody would notice. Texas, where this peanut plant is, also had the misfortune to have Bush as governor too.

    It is my understanding there was never any inspection of this plant from its inception. And many, many reports of dead rats and rotten peanuts but no investigation. Now they have claimed bankruptcy to protect themselves from any liability lawsuits.

    I think we will be paying for the eight years that GW ruled for a long, long, long time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I heard that there is a taped telephone conversation between the CEO of a peanut company and the lab whereby the technician (I think) is telling the CEO that salmonella has been found and the CEO said to ignore it??? Am I right? I don't think MSNBC would put out something like that if it were not true.
    I never liked peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and today I was reading of someone eating toasted peanut butter and honey sandwiches - YUK!
    Well at least you all got rid of Bush - Carter still have the peanut farm? No, I forgot when his Presidency came to an end, he was bankrupt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do think Carter still has his peanut farm. And this was a processing and shipping facility in Texas. And yes the owners told testing plants what to come up with on results. And a shipment to Canada was turned away at the border because it smelled rotten and they took it back and shipped it elsewhere.

    The really interesting part is they have not a clue as to where the peanuts went. They actually said to throw out any product with peanuts or peanut flavor in it. This includes dog biscuits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We need to adopt the European system of dealing with food. They eat mostly fresh foods and refuse to ingest processed crap like we do in the States. When I was there 12 years ago, I could not believe how amazing food can taste when it's not half processed to death.

    Bummer is, I love peanuts and many of the affected products from this whole fiasco. It's getting harder and harder for me to trust anything sold in stores. Had I the space, I'd just grow my own food so I knew where it came from and how it was grown. I think this whole thing may just spur a movement away from corporate produced, highly processed food back to consuming locally produced organic food.

    And so much the better. Americans are far too fat for their own good and it's costing our economy untold billions in health care and lost productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have moved to a large extent to organics which are less "stepped on" and therefore more wholesome. They also have less petrochemicals which I am allergic to. And less preservatives. This lessens the chance they have come from China via the slow boat. Eggs taste like eggs and milk like milk, etc.

    I also live in a rural area and where ever possible buy local produce. So in effect I have the European diet. I do not like peanuts on the whole but I am going to miss Reese's Peanut butter cups.

    ReplyDelete