Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Secretary of Commerce????


First let me say that I am one of Bill Richardson's fans. He was my representative to the United States Congress for many years and has most recently served as my governor. The highest praise that I can give this politician is that he listens.

I suppose it is that ability to listen which makes him a great negotiator and I was all for him being Secretary of State. I don't think Hillary listens, and least of all to herself.

When it looked like Obama was set on Hillary for Secretary of State I was rather hoping for Secretary of Energy for my governor. Our state is always concerned with energy and as governor Richardson has done a lot to promote more green energy, and now the building of the Chili Line which is a light rail commuter train going up the Rio Grande corridor and linking our major cities of Albuquerque and Santa Fe to the bedroom communities where the workers live.

When the rumors started flying about Secretary of Commerce it took me a while to wrap my mind around it. I even went to Wiki this morning to get their take on the duties of SoC. The Department of Commerce states its mission as
"to foster, promote, and develop the foreign and domestic commerce." Well, that certainly is broad. But when you look at the Under Secretaries you get a more complete picture of Commerce. There are undersecretaries for international trade, economic affairs, oceans and atmosphere, technology, and exports. Does that sound like the hub for development and implimentation of green technology?

Well, way to go Bill. You have my vote of confidence.

5 comments:

  1. He gets my support too, Jacqui. I am very pleased with this appointment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something I forgot to mention in the original post is how wonderful it is to have a Mountain West Governor in the cabinet. So often our states are neglected except when it comes to what lands you can rape and where you can store nuclear waste.

    This cabinet post will allow him some say in that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the early days I thought he might be ear marked for Sec of State, Once it was clear that Hillary was not going to be VP, I predicted she would get it instead and so said, so done. I wondered where BO was going to put Bill and I'm happy to see that everyone is pleased. Way to go as you say........

    ReplyDelete
  5. It did take me a while to warm to the idea but there are some tough negotiations about trade and commerce that he will be uniquely suited to handle. Certainly he will not break down into shouting matches with the Chinese like Paulson did yesterday.

    ReplyDelete