Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Where did my poison come from?

One of those little side agreements that came with the many free trade deals G.W. Bush has been engaging in without congressional oversight is the elimination of point of origin labeling.

Probably not a big deal since his administration has also totally stripped the Food and Drug Administration (and the Environmental Protection Agency too) but now with poisoned tomatoes in 17 states we haven't a clue where they came from. Ergo nobody is buying tomatoes period. Which is a shame as there are some United States suppliers of this wonderful fruit/vegetable that have proven clean of any contamination. But they are having to trash their production for lack of markets.

My personal guess is that the tomatoes came from Mexico. Like to blame China but that is a bit far for a ripe tomato to travel. And the first states where the suspect food showed up were Texas and New Mexico. Right along the Mexico border. But proving that is darn near impossible because of that no point of origin labeling. And if NAFTA gets its way and they allow trucks from Mexico to just roll across the border with no unloading to US trucks we will really be lost. Poison tomatoes can go straight through to Canada.

So since I do not know where the produce in my market comes from I am not buying any of it. Growing my own lettuce and tomatoes and waiting for the farmer's markets for everything else. So if you are a United States producer of vegetables and fruits put Grown in the USA in large letters on it. If I don't see that I will assume Mexico. Not a good assumption. I want to know what I am eating and where it is from.

6 comments:

  1. I was shocked to read that tomatoes were the source of the salmonella out break as one associates this bacteria with poultry, eggs, diary products......
    All foodstuffs, fresh or otherwise should be stamped with country of origin allowing the consumer to decide whether or not to purchase. It would appear that one third of the winter tomatoes consumed in the US come from Mexico - controls needed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy's management told me yesterday that the contaminated tomatoes had come from Mexico. Not that I quote Wendy's as an authority but still, that is what they are saying here..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy's management told me yesterday that the contaminated tomatoes had come from Mexico. Not that I quote Wendy's as an authority but still, that is what they are saying here..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great thoughts. I assumed this was the origin of the contamination and still believe that. This no labeling crap needs to stop. I just bought tomato plants myself....I trust my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with you, I am not able to garden like I want to now, so we are driving 45 minutes away and buying right out of the amish gardens. and I know they don't put tons of chemicals on them, cause the fresh cut broccoli I got had a couple worms in them still-lol-I buy american only whenever possible. I have also started to read the lables on canned goods-you would be amazed what comes from china-I don't want it-thanks Jacqui-great post-says exactly what I am thinking

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got tired of being afraid to buy produce. This year I put in a square foot garden. You really don't need much room and the smell of a fresh tomato stright from your own garden is so heavenly. A few containers can give you all the tomatoes you need. Think about growing the kind that go up and stake them. Square foot gardening is so easy it makes you feel quilty to say you are gardening. Try it. Check out my blog if you want to see how to do it...Start with my first post...I tell you how I do it and show you results of my garden.

    ReplyDelete