Thursday, April 17, 2008

This all comes down to a lapel pin?


I watched the Hillary and Obama debate last night and personally think Obama won because he politely tried to get the debate focused back on the issues. It seemed to be all about US flag lapel pins. And why Obama does not wear one.

Was I the only one to notice that Hillary did not have one on her jacket lapel. Nor was she wearing one of the acceptable "I am an American" colors. Bush can always be predicted to wear a blue suit, white shirt and red tie when he is trying to sell us on staying in Iraq.

Hillary was wearing green which does not score really high on the dress for success scales and no American Flag lapel pin. So this morning I got up and Googled Lapel Pins. And was surprised to find that there are any host of US leaders that have been caught without one.

President Reagan seems to be one of the first. But his presidency predated 9/11 and I am not sure if there were different rules for then. I was working for the Village Court during this pivotal point in our US history and I know that suddenly you were at risk of being hung as a traitor or at the least fired if you did not adorn every outfit and every ball cap with at least one depiction of Old Glory. As an ex-hippy that was constantly put down for sewing American Flag decals on jackets and pockets of jeans I found myself rather divided by this sudden emergence patriotic display. Were these often not righteous depictions of a symbol of the United States really disgracing it? There is never room for enough stars or stripes. And do we get into a snobbery of my lapel pin is real gold with enamel not paint debate.

They are all Made in China. So how very American is that?

But while surfing along through Google I was surprised to find the above photo of Senator John McCain without his requisite lapel pin. Probably there are a whole group of political photographers frantically searching their digital image files this morning to see if they can find GW without one. Does he wear one while chainsawing dead wood on his ranch?

He is a Texan and it has been my experience that all Texans wear the Texas state Lone Star on everything. And it is the major decoration for all cabins owned by Texans here in New Mexico. Do you wear the Lone Star Lapel pin above or below the US Flag lapel pin?

Ask me if I care? Frankly if the issues facing us Americans do not get some serious attention in the very near future then I will cease to be proud of this country. I already have to apologize for our president (lapel pin or no) to all foreign friends and visitors. So let's stop playing this picky, picky game of make wrong and try to address the real issues that concern us.

5 comments:

  1. McCain is a Texan?? How did I miss that one??
    I didn't see the debate but saw on Morning Joe this am that BO was less than sparkling. I sincerely hope that this is interpreted as coolness as opposed to inexperience!!
    Don't apologize dear - everyone has one - we have Gordon Brown!! And here we have Prime Minister Patrick Manning who would like to run for President. Problem is he cannot get a law passed which would allow for an Executive President and the abolition of the post f Prime Minister!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bush is Texan. Not McCain. I have lots of flag lapel pins including a lovely antique one which I need to locate. And a rhinestone one.

    Obama I think was trying very hard to not lose his temper at Hillary. Not easy to do. I lot mine and channel hopped a bit to settle down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That "debate" was nothing more than a Clinton hit-job, thinly disguised by ABC. Stephanopolous should have recused himself since he worked for Bill Clinton's administration, an obvious conflict-of-interest.

    Others said that Obama wasn't "on his game." Well, yeah. You go in expecting a debate and right off the bat they start digging in with the non-issue tabloid questions. I'd be a little taken aback as well. I didn't see the debate, I usually don't like to watch them since they seem to de-volve so easily, but I did catch a few minutes here and there. As usual, Obama handled it very professionally.

    Obama put it rightly when he calls the question of his patriotism a "manufactured distraction." His quest to put America back on the right track pretty much fills my definition of patriotism.

    Er, yeah, I don't know why my fellow Texans feel the need to "flag" everything. Maybe it's their own low-esteem. Here in Texas, it's University of Texas flags everywhere. Certainly the flag-making folks make a few dimes here in this state. *laugh*

    I'll post a great photoshop of GW on my blog next week showing his flag lapel pins. It still makes me giggle when I see it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interestingly polls seem to give Obama the victory in this "debate". He kept to the high ground and it continued to make Clinton look snippy. The Pennsylvania polls show that Obama has closed the gap to only 5% between him and Hillary so I think that shows her strategy isn't working. Obama really has lots of patience. And remember that Richardson used to work for the Clintons and he is backing Obama. A lot of people that like Bill do not like Hillary.

    I look forward to that photoshop of Bush and his pins. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

    ReplyDelete