Sunday, December 27, 2009

Why Should I Starve Just Because Clerical Workers Are?


For the first year since 1975 There will be no COLA or cost of living adjustment for beneficiaries of Social Security or Social Security Disability payments. Increases are evidently calculated based on the earnings of urban wage earners and clerical workers.

I am frankly miffed that just because they are starving I should? Economists do this song and dance about the fact that due to the economy there has been no raise in the cost of living ergo no raise for us to adjust to it. What world are they living in?

My property taxes went up because due to decline in sales of consumer goods the gross receipts proceeds went down and to make up for that property taxes must go up. Because of the houses that fell to hurricanes and fires insurance went up. When do we start telling people where not to build? And so I expected a raise in my escrow payments on my mortgage but $61 a month?

Seems there is a new federal law that either mandates or allows (banks read allows as mandates) our mortgage holders to hold "extra money" over and above what it takes to pay taxes and insurance annually. I can either give them $650 interest free before March 1st or pay the $61 more a month. BTW I also do not earn interest on that.

So then the current electric bill has that item called fuel adjustment on it. It appears in the winter when the providers of the power my coop resells raise their fees. That was almost $17 of my bill this month. The more I heat my house the more that raises. Because of energy bills last year I have decided to learn to live at under 60 degrees. And I get to that balmy level with the wood stove and the passive solar addition to my home. I no longer use my clothes dryer. If it is too cold to dry clothes outside they hang around in my hall. The good news there is KWH used has dropped from 716 last year at this time to 534 this. But cost per day only lowered by 7 cents which says ole government of mine that the cost of living has gone up. Or should I say the cost of not freezing to death.

I don't have to hire clerical workers. And I certainly cannot afford to hire anyone to do anything around my rural property. But it is still costing me much more to live this year than it did last or the year before. So much more that I am considering deleting Medicare Part B from my insurance coverage. I cannot afford to go to the doctor even if I have to only pay 20% so why pay for something I don't use. And it would net me $96 more a month which just might cover the increases in energy and escrow. Then if I stop eating. . .

Well, it is something to consider. If I starve to death (or freeze to death) my sister has to come up with the money for the cremation. Then I would be warm at least.

4 comments:

  1. Medicare has "extra help" aka QMB program that will pay your Premiums, deductibles, and co-ins if you qualify. Even if you have $0 medicare advantage plan they still pay the $96 so the difference comes out of your check
    On the back of the medicare book there is also a SHIP number you can call for resources.
    I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ or anything but I sent Pawpaw down there last month & they cut a check to Wells @#$%ing Fargo for 2600.00 due to their increase of 300 mth. Apparently some programs have high thresholds so qualifying seems possible. LIHEAP is also assisting with energy assistance like solar panels/hurricane shutters and such. His homeowners insurance has an incentive check for those modifications too. If they hold true to form they will dig a hole at the back door for him to fall in??
    Just trying to help I'm new to this medicare thang too now what did I do with that shovel?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips. I have tried to get help on heating bills and evidently I make too much to qualify. I have trouble imagining anyone trying to live on less.

    The QMB program does sound like something I need to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Call them they will do the application on the phone.
    800 MED ICAR is thre 24/7 but I think QMB is more like bankers hours. Honestly, it was so nice to go to doctors appts. and not pay a dime. Restasis for $278.00 was $3.20
    Everyone should tell their elders & neighbors on disability too.
    It's federal law that each state have this program.
    My cousin from Grass Valley tells me that he claims 50.00 wk additional income helping his landlord & it qualified him for more benefits than claiming just his disability?? California has something a little different maybe...pot erase this if it's offensive
    Ava

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain..2/3 of my income go on rent ( and it's not possible to get anything any cheaper)..I'm left with a aprox. $100 a week to eat and pay bills..
    they say life wasn't meant to be easy but does it have to be so hard?

    ReplyDelete