Friday, January 16, 2009

ByeBye Bush


I was chatting with a friend recently and we had to admit that seldom have we been so thrilled to see a President of the United States leave office. And I think that would be true even if we were not looking forward to the 44th holder of the office.

GW flying off to obscurity (he does not get to take Air Force One like in this picture) brings joy to my heart equal to the time that Nixon was wisked away by Marine heliocopter after resigning. He was immediately pardoned by the first Bush to the hold office of President. That soured the whole joyful celebration sadly. Nixon should have had to stand trial for his high crimes as should GW. I hold no illusions that he will. But listening to his goodbye press conference and exit interviews I just could not face his farewell address.

If nothing else Georgie is guilty of revisionist history. (Historical revisionism is the reinterpretation of orthodox views on evidence, motivations and decision-making processes surrounding an historical event. The assumption of the revisionist (GW in this case) is that the interpretation of a historical event or period as it is accepted by the majority of scholars needs a significant change.)

I reached my tolerance level when he said even in the worst moments he had fun being president. Does this man listen to what he says? Rather like Palin, huh? But probably the worst thing about this prolonged farewell of GW's is that he has fiddled while Rome burned or in this case he has preened before the cameras while our economy has crashed around our feet. And not just in the United States but around the world.

Still Fox had the audacity to post a poll they took (I will assume among their viewers) that Bush now had a 34% approval rating which combined with his highs and lows gave him an overall aproval rating of 51%. If nothing else this is a condemnation of polls, Fox News (bought an paid for by its advertisers), and the Republican party.

I approve only of his going. He essentially left the day after the election. We have had nobody at the helm, not even the village idiot. Soon we will have a real president.

6 comments:

  1. Not for me to comment on another countries leader, but I did see Blair was over in the White House being the obedient puppy to the bitter end...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Michael for not using the BBC term Poodle. Mardi Gras is really upset about that. She sees poodle as a rank of distinction and thinks used to identify politicians brings down the prestige of her breed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I feel as if an eight year weight is slowly loosening from around my shoulders and will be gone completely around noon on Tuesday. These have been the most shameful years imaginable, but since November 4th, America has felt more like home again!!

    Best to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Faux News is spinning to the end, continuing to destroy their own credibility. Even here in Utah Bush's approval rating has sunk below 50%.

    The country and the world is celebrating the advent of a new America.

    Bush turned out to be not the uniter, not even the decider, but truly the destroyer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL. Like Faux news. Though since Bush totally controlled the media after 9/11 I wonder if any news outside of blogland is real. It is all bought and paid for by advertisers. Seems I remember many of the big investment houses now begging for funds advertising on prime time before I banished television from my house.

    I am with Pamela and Edward about feeling a weight being lifted from my shoulders. I no longer have to look for a country to move to.

    I don't know when I have been so excited to see a president leave office. I would only be happier if he was going to prison for his crimes against this country.

    I will be jumping for joy tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete