Monday, October 11, 2010

I think I am in Love!!!

LED Light Bulbs
I am getting ready for winter and part of that is replacing outside light bulbs. Some years back I had bought the propaganda about the energy efficient florescent bulbs and replaced my incandescent bulbs as they went out. I have been less than happy with the results. They are dim, do not dim with a rheostat, do not get to full brightness before I turn them off, and outside in cold weather are just impossible to see by. And in a motion detector fixture they are impossible. I am frequently out of my car and in my house before the lights on the walkway get above a very faint glow.

And one of the big controversies over replacing our light bulbs with fluorescent "eco" bulbs, is those bulbs aren't really very eco friendly. Sure they save on energy in a fixture where you turn it on and leave it on for an extended period, but they also contain mercury, and dropping the bulb or improper discarding of the bulb is an environmental hazard. Besides they take twice the materials to make and are dangerous on stairways and entries where they often are not on long enough to come to full power before the owner stumbles down the stairs.

So today I was in the hardware store looking to stock up on light bulbs - the incandescent ones - since I had used all my stock up replacing florescent bulbs and I keep hearing this rumor they are going to outlaw light! I was standing before the huge array of light bulbs trying to remember all my light fixtures inside and out so I would get enough and of the right variety when a clerk asked if he could help. I explained I was looking for LIGHT bulbs and that did not include those horrid florescent ones. And he informed me that he hears that a lot these days.

This was in Taos where the trust fund babies are definitely eco-terrorist connected. I had almost whispered I wanted the OTHER bulbs. He pointed me to the LED bulbs. I know LED. They first made an appearance in little things like book lamps that clip on your book cover, or personal headlights for crawling in attics, or solar fixtures, etc.

But LED's have gone big time and come in all shapes and sizes and to fit all fixtures. Top watts seems to be about 1.5 as compared to the 75 watts for an incandescent. And they last 9 and 10 times as long. I am test driving two for that dark walkway from the driveway with the motion sensor, and if I am happy it is off to get some more. Meanwhile I am collecting the florescent bulbs in a bag to take to the transfer station with a note that some of them still work within the parameters they were designed for which isn't light.

4 comments:

  1. You can get very bright LEDs. I think the largest lamp I have seen is 9w. You can get warm and cool white as well as many different colors (and color changing ones -- some even have a remote control!). One of the jewelers at ArtsFest used a mixture of warm and cool white.

    Currently, I have not seen any bright a s a 50w Halogen (550lumens), but adding an extra can or two is no big deal.

    I even saw a very expensive LED replacement for the 48" fluorescent tubes. One company makes ceiling tiles with LEDs to replace fluorescent office office lighting.

    A friend replaced bulb in an old flashlight with an LED and it ran at least four days! You can also get LED bulbs for MagLites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all the info. I was just happy to find they did not require a special fixture. They do seem expensive at this time but I love the light they put out as opposed to the florescent bulbs.

    I am sure they will get less expensive and also have more variety. If I like the two I got then I plan to replace other bulbs with them including my display lights for the fairs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the eco-friendly fluoros and they make you feel like someone is sitting on your eyebrows. We are no longer able to buy incandescents in OZ. Big brother took them away. I will look for the LEDs when these wear out - although the damn things will probably last forever. Do LEDs get hot like the old ones used to?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The ones I currently have are outside and we are into winter weather so I cannot answer the heat question, Sue. But I fully intend to get a couple spots to put in my studio where I can further field test them.

    I think those that outlaw incandescent bulbs need to be sued. The are dangerous on stairs and in entry ways because they don't get bright enough fast enough. Outside in cold weather they are useless. Falling down stairs and muggings ought to be paid for by those that banned them.

    ReplyDelete