Thursday, November 1, 2007

Feeling Less Than Free

My word for today on another blog site was Force. I picked it to define because quite frankly I am feeling a bit forced these days.

First there is the force that the approaching winter is applying. After enduring six feet of snow in three days last year the mere thought of snow seems to bring on post traumatic stress syndrome. I had been lulled into a sense of safety by two or three very mild winters and then to be hit by the 100 year storm . . . well, I was woefully unprepared except for the larder full of canned goods in case of bird flu.

Second, I am feeling forced by a need to finish the studio project begun this summer. I have at last found a carpenter to apply the outside siding. Let me note that while I am very grateful to be getting this done it has all cost more than anticipated or budgeted and way more than the national norms. According to one home improvement site I should be able to get my entire house sided for about $6,900 US but I had one estimate for $25,000. Doing just the new addition for $3,000.

So, the third force would have to be money. Obviously something a lot of people are feeling because the rich that buy my art seem reluctant to let go of a dime these days. Which puts us artists back to poverty level. Mind you we are always skirting close to that edge at the best of times.

Fourth, we seem to have started the political campaigning entirely too early. Is it possible that we could elect our next president in 2008 just to allow him or her a platform from which to run for re-election for four years?

I like the increased debates. I thought it would make me feel as if I had more control over my choice but no. The talking heads want to tell me what I should have thought as the candidates answered the questions, and the pollsters seem to have already elected who it is that is going to run. So I am divided as to whether we should just let the polls elect the president and thereby skip all those soon to come nasty television spots, or launch a write in campaign for some really dark horse (like an honest person not tied to big money), or quietly move offshore like all the jobs, factories, and money.

And Fifth is of course the war in Iran. He wants one. He probably will get one. Hell, even Hilary voted to call them terrorists. What choice did we have about Iraq. You assume we will have a choice about Iran? Which in order to man three wars there will have to be a draft and once again we are being forced to participate in something we cannot (and should not morally) condone.

I wonder if the French middle class felt like this just before the revolution?

6 comments:

  1. Wow your getting pushed and pulled in a lot of directions but I guess life gets that way sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just a stop by to say Hi...
    Just before the Frech revolution there were no middle class left...only the poor on one side and the rich on the other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Given what the stock market is doing, rising gas prices and the exportation of even high tech jobs overseas it will not be long before there is no middle class here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. (aaah the social dramas at 'the other place').
    It is interesting how you can pick themes in life that seem to be present micro and macrocosmically

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here when we're bemoaning the lack of chill on the east coast, we forget other areas are bracing for winter.

    I like a quote I read from - quite probably - PJ O'Roarke: in essence it said that we are so bored and apathetic with the election of our officials that in time the last person still awake gets the country. I'll look that quote up (or ask my friend at City Paper).

    Very good to read you again !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would be most interested in the quote. Now to decide if I want to stay awake to get the country?

    I have been collecting quotes from the founding fathers and others about the political system here and in other democratic countries.

    For the political blog of the century? who knows. Thanks for stopping in and saying hi.

    ReplyDelete